(NewsUSA) – Transporting large, valuable items often creates anxiety. Will you open the box only to find an antique vase in shards? Will the package even reach its destination?
To ensure that items arrive safely, you have to pack them correctly. Make sure that you have a variety of packing materials on hand, including boxes, bubble wrap, loose fill and packing tape.
Bulky or irregularly shaped items, like furniture, exercise equipment, paintings and sculptures, require special consideration. The experts at Pak Mail, a shipping company with 500 plus stores in the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Venezuela, Panama and Japan, offer the following tips:
– Wrap it. Before packing an item, you’ll need to protect it from scratching or breaking. Wrap items in bubble wrap, tissue, or plastic. If shipping several items in the same box, wrap each item individually. Use non-acidic paper to protect the artwork.
– Pack it. Use foam or rubber as a second layer of packaging -; this will help absorb shock and vibration during shipping. Make sure that items are packed securely in their boxes. Most damage occurs when items have room to move or shake.
– Make it secure. Choose a hard, puncture-resistant surface, like plywood, for the outer layer of your package.
– Hire a professional. For items that prove especially cumbersome, consider hiring a shipping company that specializes in custom packaging and large items. For example, Pak Mail builds custom crates for unusually awkward or large items.
You don’t even need to bring the items to a Pak Mail location -; the company will pick up your item, pack it safely and then ship it. There are no size, weight, or piece limits. The company has successfully shipped everything from precious artworks to dinosaur fossils.
– Get a guarantee. Declare and cover the value of your items. Make sure that you have each item’s tracking numbers so you can watch their progress.
For more information or to find Pak Mail locations, call (800) 778-6665 or visit www.pakmail.com.